So, apparently when you’d like to look like an intelligent developer who knows stuff, you’re supposed to start a technical blog where you write about all the developer stuff that you deal with in your life. That sounds like a very millennial thing to do, but who am I to question to the infinite wisdom of ‘they who say stuff’. I happen to have a website that I am paying for and not using, so why not try to look like someone who knows what’s what.
I’ve uploaded a page for Wall Climbing UDK project. This one also has something new and exciting… videos! Finally, I am the master of multimedia. Go check it out.
I’ve been working on a wall walking system in UDK and have it mostly finished. The wall movement controls aren’t quiet what I want them to be but I fear I have not the knowledge of angles to make it work (they’re good but not perfect). I have to do roof walking which is a bit more interesting since a roof or floor does not allow for an up orientation when clinging.
I’ve uploaded a new version of Mazes. This version has darkness added (and prompts the user for if he/she wants darkness and how far the user can see), and also has a randomized beginning and ending location. Now I’ve gone from a simple algorithm test, to a simple game, to a game that might actually pass as a crummy mini-game. In another few years maybe it’ll reach the quality of a mediocre quality game!
I’ve added some basic ‘Darkness’ to my maze program by making it so only things within a certain radius draw. It’s caused an issue with how the walls are drawn since each wall relies on the next one to add the intersection character and so on, but it looks fine and 9it bugs me more then it actual is a problem. it also has made a big mess of my code but what’s new. I’m going to add some prompts for variables like sight range and weather or not to include sight and probably clean the code and then re-upload it.
I’ve added simple gameplay to mazes. Users can now move through the maze using WSAD controls (though I’d like to try and improve how clunky the key getting is). I’ve uploaded the new files to the mazes page and added some new screenshots and code samples for the new version.
Okay so getting back from my winter vacation, I’ve refactored Mazes To use a new internal structure that makes it a bit nicer. This should allow me to rewrite how the maze is displayed and then add some gameplay features. It’s going to be simple, just an entrance, an exit, and a character marker that the user can move through the maze but that’s fine for a simple game.
I uploaded a new version of mazes that fixes a memory de-allocation bug as well as adding simple user interactions to get maze dimensions and repeatedly ask the user if he/she would like to continue.
I’ve added my new programming project, Mazes. I’m planning on adding gameplay elements and updating it soon. Now all I need to do is figure out some fun things to do with a maze.
The next step in Time Warp involves duplicating the map to 3 or 4 sections and starting to do unique work for each time area. Unfortunately, I tried duplicating the section and UDK basically chugged like a college freshman. As a result, I’ve had difficulty trying to accomplish the next step. I have some ideas of how to get around things if the problem persists (though I don’t like them). In the mean time, I’m working on a programing project I’ve been wanting to do for a while. It’ll probably act as the first step towards a much larger project if all goes well, but stands as a good example of solid coding and basic engine type game skills on its own. I’ll upload it ASAP once I’ve worked it out.